Wednesday 27 June 2012

The Mysterious Chambers


There were 68 barracks at Sachsenhausen once, only two remain Barracks 38 & 39. The rest are now
marked with this form of thing. A metal rim, with the barrack's number on it, and then a bed of stones.

These must be a very recent addition, as they're not on Google Earth's aerial photos of the camp

This is a scan of a map I brought in the visitor centre, the beds of stones are in white

What puzzled me when I saw it, was that one of the beds of stones is marked "Kammer", German for "Chamber." So I looked for others, and I found three beds of stones in total marked "Kammer", the three nearest to the obelisk monument. These "Kammers" are not specifically indicated on the map I brought at Sachsenhausen, so about 5 hours ago I emailed the museum and asked them what was going on. If I hear back I'll update this post as necessary. But usually when you hear the word "Chamber" about a Nazi concentration camp, you would be forgiven for automatically thinking "Gas Chamber."

No comments:

Post a Comment